With average energy bills totalling over £1,000, the cost of keeping your home warm can be too much. Currently 5 million people in the UK cannot afford to pay for the heat they need.
Milton Keynes Council has recognized this problem and is trying to tackle it. In partnership with the United Sustainable Energy Agency, Milton Keynes Age Concern and Milton Keynes Primary Care Trust, they have launched a free phone helpline to advise residents in Milton Keynes and the surrounding villages on keeping their property warm while keeping their fuel bills down.
Anyone who is struggling with their fuel bills can call for free, impartial advice on:
- Improving the efficiency of your property through cavity wall and loft insulation including the grants available
- Warm Front grants to help with heating system replacements
- Switching energy suppliers to find the best deal
- Social tariffs provided by the energy companies for vulnerable customers
- Advice on fuel debt
- Home Improvement Agencies who undertake minor repairs for vulnerable home owners
- Sign posting to other active support organisations
- Information on improving your energy efficiency to cut your energy bills
The phone number is 0800 107 0044 and is available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.